Los Angeles News
High school football coach arrested for alleged sex with student
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- An assistant football coach at Hart High School was arrested Thursday on two felony sex charges.
Nicolas Ovendale, 20, was arrested near his Santa Clarita residence on one count of committing lewd acts with a child and one count of unlawful sexual intercourse.
"The responsiblity falls on the suspect in this case because he is 20 years old. He is an adult. They should be considering having relationships with people their own age, rather than children," said Los Angeles Sheriff's Sgt. Brian Hudson.
Late last month, Ovendale reportedly engaged in sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old female student inside his parked vehicle in the Stevenson Ranch area. Ovendale had come to know the victim after he was hired as an assistant coach for the freshman football team.
Detectives from the sheriff's special victims bureau began investigating the incident during the first week of November, when it was reported to Sheriff's Department personnel by school officials. Authorities said the student has confirmed the allegations.
A spokeswoman for the school district said Ovendale was fired after the allegations came to light, and the district is conducting its own investigation.
The school was closed Friday for Veterans Day, but students had already heard the rumors.
"I don't think it's right. I think it's wrong that a coach would hook up with a teenager in school," said student Bricia Lopez.
Ovendale was released from jail Friday after posting $50,000 bail.
arrest, school, sex crimes, santa clarita valley, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion 5 min ago
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor 24 min ago
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Holiday shopping tips, ideas to save money
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video) 2 min ago