Los Angeles News
Family loses nearly everything in U-Haul theft
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A family moving from Northern California to Long Beach lost nearly all their possessions when someone drove off in their U-Haul truck.
The Bischofberger family believes someone followed them to Tulane Avenue and Daggett Street where they were planning on staying with a family member.
"You put everything you own in a box," Allen Bischofberger said. "I left it on the street, locked the truck, took the key inside and thought it was safe, and it wasn't."
Bischofberger was asleep on the couch when he heard the engine start about 1:30 a.m. Sunday. He ran outside, but the truck was already speeding down the street.
"I don't have anything left. I have the clothes on my back, and my kids have a backpack full of clothes," Bischofberger said.
All their furniture, clothing, dishes, bicycles, tools and toys were stolen. Those items can be replaced, but the Bischofbergers say they want their wedding photos and other items with sentimental value back.
The Bischofbergers are seeing the kindness in their new community. Long Beach residents have given them kitchen supplies to help the process to replace what was stolen.
"We've had people offer up even their own crock pots," said Tami Bischofberger. "Really great, generous people offering tables and things like that. We're just trying to make an empty house full."
The stolen U-Haul truck is a 2006 GMC with an Arizona license plate AD03927. There is an image of a person riding a bicycle on the side of the truck.
Anyone with information is asked to call Long Beach police at (562) 570-5888.
For those who want to offer help, the Bischofbergers can be reached at email@example.com.
long beach, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 17 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
52 min ago