Los Angeles News
Family loses nearly everything in U-Haul theft
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A family moving from Northern California to Long Beach lost nearly all their possessions when someone drove off in their U-Haul truck.
The Bischofberger family believes someone followed them to Tulane Avenue and Daggett Street where they were planning on staying with a family member.
"You put everything you own in a box," Allen Bischofberger said. "I left it on the street, locked the truck, took the key inside and thought it was safe, and it wasn't."
Bischofberger was asleep on the couch when he heard the engine start about 1:30 a.m. Sunday. He ran outside, but the truck was already speeding down the street.
"I don't have anything left. I have the clothes on my back, and my kids have a backpack full of clothes," Bischofberger said.
All their furniture, clothing, dishes, bicycles, tools and toys were stolen. Those items can be replaced, but the Bischofbergers say they want their wedding photos and other items with sentimental value back.
The Bischofbergers are seeing the kindness in their new community. Long Beach residents have given them kitchen supplies to help the process to replace what was stolen.
"We've had people offer up even their own crock pots," said Tami Bischofberger. "Really great, generous people offering tables and things like that. We're just trying to make an empty house full."
The stolen U-Haul truck is a 2006 GMC with an Arizona license plate AD03927. There is an image of a person riding a bicycle on the side of the truck.
Anyone with information is asked to call Long Beach police at (562) 570-5888.
For those who want to offer help, the Bischofbergers can be reached at email@example.com.
long beach, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign 50 min ago
- Prize-winning bulldogs stolen from IE home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans 6 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'