Los Angeles News
Downtown LA stadium design is futuristic with unique roof
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The downtown Los Angeles skyline near Staples Center will change dramatically if the latest plans for a new football stadium go forward.
Renderings of Farmers Field unveiled Tuesday offer a futuristic airy design that includes a roof. The stadium will be able to seat more than 70,000 fans.
"Our goal was to create the most dynamic complex for hosting the world's most important events, many of which, today, bypass our great city," said designer Ron Turner.
The developers, AEG, say the roughly $1.1 billion facility will be built without the use of taxpayer dollars. Private funding will be paid off with the revenue from the project.
The city still needs to sell $275 million in tax-exempt bonds to tear down a portion of the Los Angeles Convention Center.
If all goes according to plan, opening night could come in three years.
"We've never missed a budget, and we've never missed an opening night. This isn't going to be any different," said project manager Tim Romani.
The builders, ICON Venue, hope to revolutionize the way roofs are designed, going beyond the familiar retractable roof with one that can be lifted into place to create the right environment for indoor and outdoor events.
"What we've got is not just a building, but a piece of art," said Romani.
downtown, los angeles news, amy powell
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 29 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 2 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 35 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 11 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights 35 min ago
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 4 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book