Los Angeles News
Downtown LA stadium design is futuristic with unique roof
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The downtown Los Angeles skyline near Staples Center will change dramatically if the latest plans for a new football stadium go forward.
Renderings of Farmers Field unveiled Tuesday offer a futuristic airy design that includes a roof. The stadium will be able to seat more than 70,000 fans.
"Our goal was to create the most dynamic complex for hosting the world's most important events, many of which, today, bypass our great city," said designer Ron Turner.
The developers, AEG, say the roughly $1.1 billion facility will be built without the use of taxpayer dollars. Private funding will be paid off with the revenue from the project.
The city still needs to sell $275 million in tax-exempt bonds to tear down a portion of the Los Angeles Convention Center.
If all goes according to plan, opening night could come in three years.
"We've never missed a budget, and we've never missed an opening night. This isn't going to be any different," said project manager Tim Romani.
The builders, ICON Venue, hope to revolutionize the way roofs are designed, going beyond the familiar retractable roof with one that can be lifted into place to create the right environment for indoor and outdoor events.
"What we've got is not just a building, but a piece of art," said Romani.
downtown, los angeles news, amy powell
- Body found near East Los Angeles College 20 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 58 min ago
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- San Diego cross memorial removal ordered
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist 21 min ago
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes 40 min ago
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'