Los Angeles News
Occupy Claremont: small group, big message
CLAREMONT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An Occupy protest is taking place in just about every major American city.
There are large ones in Los Angeles and New York, but what about Claremont?
Pitzer College student Charlotte Colton is one of three Occupy Claremont protesters who have been camping out in front of Claremont City Hall.
The trio has been there on and off since Sunday. They have pitched one tent.
"It starts small, but hopefully we can build it," said Colton on a quiet Friday afternoon. "Claremont is not a large space and I don't expect a ton of people, but hopefully more."
The Occupy Claremont demonstrators are calling for a general assembly on Sunday afternoon. While such an announcement might raise concern in other cities, Claremont officials don't seem too concerned.
"They've been very cooperative, they've moved when asked to move," said Joseph Lyons, a member of the City Council. "I think that we will survive without incident."
Claremont has a long history of activism. Some folks may look at its Mayberry-like charm and think it's an odd place for the Occupy movement. However, people more familiar with Claremont take it all in stride.
"It's the Berkeley of Southern California, basically, so it doesn't surprise me that it would be here," said Michelle Allred of Riverside.
"By coming here, even with three people or four people, it's a statement," said Ontario resident Robert Washer.
protest, los angeles news, rob hayes
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up 37 min ago
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court 53 min ago
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card 51 min ago
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire 21 min ago
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace 11 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model 43 min ago
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video) 49 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
45 min ago