Los Angeles News
'Living' Christmas trees an eco-friendly option for the holidays
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- When shopping for a Christmas tree this year, the decision doesn't have to just be between artificial or real.
Amber Richane of Santa Monica instead rented a 'living' Christmas tree from The Living Christmas Company.
"It's important to me to be as gentle on the Earth as we can, and I never really thought about Christmas trees because it's like they're alive, they came from the forest, but if they're not sustainably farmed or harvested, you can really do a lot of damage," Richane said.
The Living Christmas Company allows customers to rent a living potted tree for the holidays.
"The symbol of having a Christmas tree is new life, new beginnings, so to us having something that keeps on living after the holidays actually says that better," said The Living Christmas Company's Scotty Martin.
The trees range in price from $25 to $140 depending on type and size. The trees are home-delivered and then picked up after Christmas.
Everything in The Living Christmas Company has a story, from the trees right down to the Christmas ornaments, such as those made by refugees available for purchase on the company's website.
"They're made by Tibetan refugees and the proceeds to that go to support the Tibetan refugees," Martin said.
The story even continues after Christmas. The trees are kept on reclaimed land and taken care of by war veterans until they can be rented again next Christmas.
"A living tree that I don't have to kill and they make it easy on me is the best of both worlds," Richane said.
christmas, environment, holiday, los angeles news, darsha philips
- 4.4-magnitude earthquake strikes LA area 18 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified 30 min ago
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- SEALS take oil tanker from Libyan rebels 6 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians