Los Angeles News
LAX braces for 160K post-Thanksgiving travelers
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Monday is going to be the busiest travel day of the year at Los Angeles International Airport. More than 160,000 people were expected to pass through its terminals.
When the Thanksgiving travel weekend wraps up, about 1.8 million passengers will have flown in and out of LAX for the 10-day holiday period - a 16 percent increase from last year.
"We didn't realize and I'm wishing we left a whole lot earlier this morning," said one traveler heading to Paris, France.
Peak crowd times in the nine LAX terminals will be between 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., airport officials said.
But even during those earlier peak times, the travelers we caught up with said the lines in the airport haven't been too bad.
"We had great luck with lines. Happened to wind up first all the time," said holiday traveler Jessica Burbage.
Airport officials say many people flew on Thanksgiving Day and stayed through the weekend to take advantage lower fares.
Police are doing more this year to help out drivers. They'll be handing out maps with information on alternate parking and waiting options.
About 565 flights leave LAX daily for 81 U.S. cities, and about 1,000 flights operated by 75 international airlines depart weekly from the facility.
City News Service contributed to this story.
holiday, travel, airport, los angeles international airport, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book