Los Angeles News
Cal State Long Beach employee dies in elevator accident
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman was crushed to death while trying to escape a stuck elevator at Cal State Long Beach on Wednesday.
The accident happened so fast that by the time authorities responded at 9:10 a.m. to the school's Foundation Building, it was too late.
A witness said the elevator was stuck between floors and gave way as the woman was climbing out.
"When the doors opened, the floor was not in the right place, so she decided to try to get out of the elevator, and it moved, and that's when she became trapped," said Toni Beron, a university spokesperson.
The woman, identified as 48-year-old Annette Lujan, a university employee, was declared dead at the scene.
Long Beach Fire Capt. Rich Brandt confirmed the elevator dropped as Lujan was trying to climb onto the third floor, wedging her between the elevator and the shaft. It took an urban search-and-rescue team more than an hour to remove the body.
"It was a very delicate operation between moving the elevator and the body at the same time," Brandt said.
Lujan was using the only working elevator in the three-story building. A second elevator had been closed for maintenance.
Campus police closed the building to conduct an investigation. The university called in a crisis counselor and told employees to go home for the day.
"People here are absolutely devastated," Beron said. "She was known by a lot of people in this building."
For anyone who is ever caught in a similar situation, Brandt said the best thing to do it to sit down and remain calm.
"These are mechanical pieces of equipment. They don't care about human life," he said.
long beach, accident, school, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour