Los Angeles News
Occupy Port protesters ousted, 1 man arrested
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach Police came out in riot gear and carrying batons Monday morning to confront Occupy protesters at their latest rally.
In a tense stand-off, one man was arrested and taken away in hand cuffs for trespassing.
It all happened at a dock facility in Long Beach, owned by SSA Marine which is a shipping company partially owned by Goldman Sachs.
Occupy protesters are dubbing their latest movement Occupy the Ports.
"Goldman Sachs owns a lot of these ports, they have obviously contributed to a lot of the economic injustice," said protester and high school student Eman Novad.
Occupy L.A. protesters say the ports are basically Wall Street on the waterfronts.
But the demonstration is not just going on in Long Beach. Occupy protesters up and down the West Coast are joining in an effort to close some of the nation's busiest ports from Anchorage to San Diego.
"Our initial plan is to come out here, occupy the ports, create picket lines and have the longshoremen not go to work," Novad said.
"We can't really come out here and back them up," said shoreman Eddie Bargoina. "We understand the problem of the 99 percent, and we're all in favor of it, but there are just some things we can't back-up on," he added.
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union, which represents thousands of West Coast long shore men, have distanced itself from the shutdown effort.
When asked what was next for Occupy the Ports, protesters said they weren't sure, but that they would not set up camps at the ports as they did in City Hall.
The Los Angeles Police Department cleared the Occupy L.A. camp at City Hall Nov. 30.
blockade, protest, long beach, california, los angeles news
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 3 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks