Los Angeles News
60 Freeway reopened in both directions
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- All lanes of the 60 Freeway reopened on Saturday, three days after a gasoline tanker incinerated a huge overpass.
The westbound lanes of the 60 Freeway reopened Saturday around 11 a.m., and the eastbound lanes reopened at about 3 p.m., according to Caltrans.
The freeway was shut down in both directions Wednesday between the 710 Freeway and Rosemead Boulevard after a tanker truck carrying 8,800 gallons of fuel caught fire.
The Paramount Boulevard Bridge was torched and badly damaged in the blaze. Crews had hoped to partially demolish and repair the east portion of the over-crossing this weekend.
However, workers found fiber-optic cable, phone lines and asbestos inside the bridge, slowing down the process.
Officials estimate that 220,000 drivers use the affected stretch of the 60 Freeway each day. Those drivers were warned to find alternate routes ahead of time.
The California Highway Patrol announced Thursday night that the eastbound 60 Freeway from the 710 Freeway to Paramount Boulevard was closed, as well as the westbound side from Rosemead Boulevard to Wilcox Avenue.
The San Gabriel Boulevard onramp on the eastbound 60 Freeway and the Garfield Avenue onramp on the westbound side were open.
Drivers can also take surface streets such as Valley, Beverly, Olympic and Whittier boulevards or other main corridors such as the 10, 210 and 605 freeways.
For those who want to avoid sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic, public transit may be the best bet. Metrolink offers three different lines to downtown L.A.
There's the San Bernardino Line, which includes a dozen stops between San Bernardino and Union Station, and the Riverside Line, which runs between downtown Riverside and downtown L.A.
fire, explosion, los angeles news, amy powell
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student 35 min ago
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis