Los Angeles News
'Survivor' producer to return to Mexico to face trial for wife's murder
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman has decided to return to Mexico voluntarily to face trial for the murder of his wife, according to his attorneys.
This means Beresford-Redman will not be appealing a recent decision by a federal judge in Los Angeles allowing his extradition.
Beresford-Redman is accused in the April 2010 killing of his 41-year-old wife and Palms restaurant owner Monica Burgos, at a resort in Cancun.
In a statement released on Tuesday, Beresford-Redman's attornies said:
"We are disappointed in the court's decision denying our request to prevent the extradition of our client, Bruce Beresford-Redman...After consultation with him, Bruce has decided not to appeal the decision and to return to Mexico and defend himself on the charges. He is innocent and it is his hope that the court in Mexico will assure that he receives a fair trial in which, he is confident, he will be exonerated."
"We are happy that finally the case will move to Mexico and we will get justice for my sister," said Monica's sister, Carla Burgos, Tuesday.
Beresford-Redman, 40, is charged in the state of Quintana Roo with aggravated homicide in the death of Burgos, his wife of 11 years. Her nude, beaten body was found at a Cancun resort three days after her husband reported her missing.
Evidence collected by Mexican authorities allegedly proves Beresford-Redman killed Burgos and dumped her body in a sewer near the room at the hotel where they were staying with their two young children.
The children are in the custody of their paternal grandparents.
City News Service contributed to this story.
homicide investigation, murder, mexico, los angeles news
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Boy on bicycle killed by truck in Simi Valley
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- Bynes alleges sexual assault by NYPD officer
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide