Los Angeles News
Suspected arsonist arrested following Hollywood fires
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 22-year-old Sunland man was arrested following a string of suspicious fires in Hollywood early Thursday morning.
Samuel Arrington, 22, was taken into custody and is being questioned about the fires that badly damaged an apartment building and several vehicles.
Just after 1 a.m. a blaze broke out at an underground parking lot of an apartment building on Fuller Avenue, just south of Sunset Boulevard. Firefighters say it was one of three arson fires set in a five-block area within 15 minutes of each other.
"Our investigators are interviewing the suspect right now, trying to determine how he went about setting the fires. We do know he was using ordinary combustibles in the vicinity," said L.A. City Fire Capt. Jamie Moore.
Lyubov Kamenetskaya's apartment was blackened by the fire, and her 73-year-old husband was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
"We were afraid. We couldn't see anything in the room because the room was full of smoke," she said.
Two units at the apartment building were damaged and four cars were destroyed in the fire.
While crews were fighting the garage blaze, another fire broke out at a Dumpster about a block away. And farther east on La Brea Avenue, a trash can at a 7-Eleven caught on fire.
Arrington was arrested after a worker outside a 7-Eleven near La Brea Avenue and Sunset Boulevard saw him trying to cause more damage.
"I saw him turn the trash can on fire, and after that he walked over to my equipment and tried to set it on fire," said Pedro Mejia, a street washer.
Mejia said he chased the alleged arsonist away from his equipment. The suspect was arrested at the 7-Eleven.
The damage at the apartment building is estimated at more than $100,000. Kamenestkaya said she can't understand why anyone would do this.
"I'm very happy that he was caught," she said. "And now he will get what he needs to get."
Authorities are investigating if Arrington is connected to other arson fires in the area.
hollywood, fire, los angeles news, leanne suter
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery 10 min ago
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 26 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 9 min ago
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013