Los Angeles News
Rose Parade floats get finishing touches from volunteers
IRWINDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Volunteers of all ages festoon every square inch of each Rose Parade float with detailed natural coverings. One missed spot could mean disqualification.
"A detail that is not always necessarily caught by the cameras is when you see eyes that are being done on animals that have four different materials just in a small little eye or the different types of grasses that are actually combed to be given a nice color texture," said Fiest Parade Floats President Tim Estes.
Of the 44 floats in the parade, 11 of them are made at Fiesta Parade Floats. From rice to flowers to feathers, from high in the scaffolding to down low at the base of the floats, the intricate craftsmanship is what makes them world-famous.
"This is one of these things that you watch for years and years and years, you sit in your living room, and you say, 'I wanna do it,' so here I am doing it, I'm so excited," said volunteer Janis Milman.
In Pasadena, the Donate Life float holds extra-special meaning, as loved ones make the pilgrimage, some from as far away as Taiwan, to place 3,000 roses on the float.
"The people that come here today have loved ones who have passed away, but in their passing, gave the gift of life to others so that they could live, and this is a very special way for them to honor them during the holiday season," said Donate Life's Bryan Stweart.
Organizers say volunteers are now working in 16-hour shifts to get the last touches on the floats. Some of the floats produced at the Fiesta Parade Floats facility include a float with bulldogs surfing in a wave pool and the Natural Balance float, which is the longest and heaviest float in Rose Parade history.
rose parade, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 38 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash 44 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 6 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 15 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 59 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 27 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks