Los Angeles News
Rescued from waters, dog 'Nemo' needs home
MARINA DEL REY, Calif. (KABC) -- A dog named 'Nemo' has a new lease on life after nearly dying in the waters off Marina del Rey. Now he needs a home.
The 2-year-old husky mix was saved by rescuers who usually come to the aid of stricken marine mammals.
The dog now called Nemo was struggling to survive underneath a dock in Marina del Rey when someone spotted him at 6 a.m. and called sheriff's deputies.
Nemo was holding on to life by resting his paws on cables below the docks, but was still barely able to keep his head above the water.
They called Peter Wallerstein, director of the Marine Animal Rescue, for help.
Wallerstein is used to rescuing mammals from the unforgiving waters of the Pacific Ocean, but never any he can hold.
"My hundreds and maybe thousands of marine mammals I'm never able to bond with an animal like that," Wallestein said.
It's not known how long Nemo was actually swimming in the water. He couldn't get up on the docks because they were too high.
The dive steps on the boats were too high as well. There was no way for Nemo to get out of the water, so he could have been swimming around for hours and could have had just minutes to survive.
Skinny, freezing and likely minutes away from death, Nemo ended up at a shelter when no one claimed him.
"He is a real gem," said Marie Atake, founder and president of the Forte Animal Rescue in Marina del Rey. "He is house trained and gets along with other dogs. He's well behaved."
Nemo is at a cage-free animal shelter now, but is waiting for a good home. They're trying to find the perfect match for him.
Anyone interested in taking Nemo home, Forte Animal Rescue holds adoptions every Saturday.
Find out more on how to adopt Nemo here.
animal news, dog tale, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys 36 min ago
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 39 min ago
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk 5 min ago
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 7 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 1 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'