Los Angeles News
Comedian Angelo Bowers killed by DUI hit-run driver
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A sad loss for local comedians- one of their own has been killed and another injured by an alleged hit-and-run driver.
It happened early Tuesday morning at Vine and Yucca streets.
Angelo Bowers was well known and loved in the comedy community. Tributes to Bowers have flooded YouTube.
Comedians mourned his loss at The Laugh Factory in Hollywood on Thursday.
"He was so good at what he did all the time," said friend Chuck Ojeda.
The 26-year-old was killed, and fellow comic Josh Meyers was critically injured, when police say a drunk driver slammed into their car after fleeing an earlier serious crash with a taxi cab.
"It's just so devastating because he brought so much joy and love to everybody, and he was so humble," said friend Matty Goldberg.
Friends and fellow comics described Bowers as a truly nice guy and described him as a "comic's comic."
"He was a genius," said Goldberg. "And that's why there is this tremendous outpour because in comedy there are just minds, and he had a mind that nobody else had."
Friends said Bowers had just beaten cancer. Never one to brag about his work, they said he wrote for a lot of big-name comedians and numerous shows.
"Everybody who met him or saw him loved him," said friend Matt Lewis. "It wasn't because he asked you to love him but because he was good and a great person."
Known for his witty one-liners, loved ones said they will take comfort in the jokes he left behind.
"He would never say that 'I am this amazing,' but it's the consensus among everyone on how incredible his word was and his approach to everything he did on stage," said Ojeda.
Police said that the 21-year-old suspect will be booked for murder when he is released from the hospital.
As for Meyers, he suffered a serious head injury but is expected to make a full recovery.
hit and run, dui, murder, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Swift to perform at Billboard Music Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested