Los Angeles News
Montebello school workers win lottery prize for 2nd time
COMMERCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A group of Montebello school employees are on a roll, having won not one, but two lottery prizes.
The group won a $12 million SuperLotto Plus prize last February, and this week, they claimed a MEGA Millions prize worth $262,743.
The ticket for their latest prize was purchased at Arrow Liquor in Commerce. The winning numbers were 48, 24, 51, 56 and 30. The MEGA Millions draw was Dec. 2, and the group claimed its winnings Friday.
The winners are all employees of the Montebello Unified School District and work at Bandini Elementary School in Commerce.
They purchased a new sound system for their school with their previous winnings. They plan to spend some of their new winnings on the school as well.
The 16 lucky winners are contributing to public education in more than one way. The California Lottery is a state-level fundraiser for public education. Lottery players have contributed more than $23 billion to education since it first started in 1985.
The Montebello school employees say they believe the third time's the charm. They said they'll continue to play, and with their luck, they might just win again.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
school, lottery, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Hiker becomes ill, dies at Runyon Canyon Park 3 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 45 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 43 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 33 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks