Los Angeles News
Local college student dead after collapsing on campus field
CERRITOS, Calif. (KABC) -- A Cerritos College student is dead after collapsing on the campus athletic field Jan. 11.
Matthew Tautolo, 20, of Long Beach, was participating in a physical education activity around 2:30 p.m. when he asked the instructor to be excused to retrieve athletic shoes from his car. He then collapsed on the field.
Faculty members and students summoned for help, and L.A. County paramedics arrived minutes later. Attempts were made to revive Tautolo on the field and en route to Coast Plaza Hospital to no avail. Doctors pronounced him dead at about 3:14 p.m.
Dr. Linda Lacy, president and superintendent, extended her sympathies to the college community. "We all feel the loss when a member of our college family passes," she said.
Student Health Services is arranging for grief counseling to be available for students and staff who seek assistance.
los angeles news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains 49 min ago
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final 14 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping 7 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved 15 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues 30 min ago
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event