Los Angeles News
Police appeal for clues in Winnetka student shooting
WINNETKA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The search continues for a suspect in the murder of a popular El Camino Real High School student. Investigators are hoping for more clues.
LAPD links the murder of 17-year-old soccer star Francisco "Pancho" Rodriguez to a reddish-haired young woman.
Five days after she lured him outside to his front yard where he was fatally shot, detectives stressed another element of evidence: They are more certain than ever that the person or persons involved escaped in a vehicle described as a dark blue or green late-'90s or early 2000s Ford Expedition or Explorer.
"There is people out there that know exactly what happened, and they know exactly who is responsible. My challenge to them is to do the right thing and let us know," said LAPD Captain Tom Brascia.
LAPD has formed a task force to pursue leads, even borrowing officers from neighboring divisions to cover for the personnel working the case.
The motive is still unknown. Investigators have found no evidence of gang ties.
Over the weekend, Rodriguez's teammates at El Camino Real High held tributes in his honor on the field and at his home on the 6900 block of Cozycroft Avenue where he was gunned down Wednesday at 6 p.m.
"We have served search warrants. I am not going to tell you what they have uncovered for us," said Bracias.
Investigators are keeping leads close to the vest to keep from scaring away any suspect.
"We may have one clue that comes in that breaks this case wide open, or we may have to go through a thousand and eke our way through it," said Brascia.
The search continues for a young Hispanic woman about 17 to 20 years old with tinted red hair, and the SUV.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) LAPD-247.
shooting, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)