Los Angeles News
2 charged in death in botched NoHo robbery
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two suspects were formally charged with capital murder Tuesday for the shooting death of a man who tried to help his grandfather during a robbery in North Hollywood.
Evin Ortiz, 22, of Valley Glen and Rene Ramirez, 29, of Panorama City are scheduled to make court appearances Wednesday. A third suspect remains at large and unidentified.
Last week, 24-year-old Danilo Morales chased after three men who police say robbed his 68-year-old grandfather on Coldwater Canyon Avenue.
One of the suspects fatally shot Morales.
Ortiz and Ramirez were charged with one count each of special-circumstance murder, attempted murder, assault with a firearm, and second-degree robbery.
The special circumstance of murder for robbery makes this a potential death penalty case. Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) LAPD-24-7.
shooting, north hollywood, robbery, los angeles news
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 4 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge 3 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers 35 min ago
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 33 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker