Los Angeles News
Head, hands, feet found in Hollywood Hills
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives scouring the Hollywood Hills found four more body parts a day after a severed human head was discovered by two women in the same area.
Two severed hands and two feet were found near a trail below the Hollywood sign in Branson Canyon Park. Investigators said they believe all the body parts belong to the same person.
Investigators said the body parts are that of a man 40 to 60 years of age, possibly of European or Armenian descent.
The gruesome investigation began after two women walking dogs found the head at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday. Two of the dogs were playing with a plastic bag when the severed head rolled out.
Investigators brought in equipment all morning to aid them in their search for more clues. Police believe the victim was killed recently because the body parts are not in an advanced decomposing state.
"It doesn't look like the body part has been up here very long," said LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith.
As police fanned out through the brush, Canyon Drive was blocked off for the investigation. It is a popular area for hikers and pet owners.
Investigators ended their search in the evening and planned to resume Thursday morning.
"I heard about it last night. It's a shock. We're out almost every morning," said Dave Parker of Hollywood.
Police are looking through their missing persons files in hopes of making a connection, but so far, a match has not been found.
While crimes like this are common in Mexico, for now at least, authorities are not linking the head to drug cartels.
At this point, police do not believe the crime occurred at the location the body parts were found. They believe the body parts were dumped.
Anyone with information that may help police is urged to call (213) 486-6890.
homicide investigation, body part found, los angeles news
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 14 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2 39 min ago
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10