Los Angeles News
Suspect arraigned in Winnetka student's fatal shooting
WINNETKA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- New details are emerging about a possible motive in the deadly shooting of a popular high school student in Winnetka: Some revealing new information posted on one suspect's Facebook.
Los Angeles police allege a plot between two suspects, 24-year-old Jason Schumann and 19-year-old Elizabeth Ibarra. The alleged objective was to murder high school soccer star Francisco Rodriguez, 17. Rodriguez was fatally shot on his front lawn on Cozycroft Ave. in Winnetka last Wednesday night after a woman with red-tinted hair came to the door and asked him to step outside. An SUV was seen departing the scene after the shooting.
Schumann, the suspected shooter, was arraigned at Van Nuys Superior Court Wednesday. Prosecutors asked for $2,050,000 bail. Schumann could face life in prison if convicted.
Ibarra has not yet been charged. She was held on a parole violation without bail.
While announcing the arrests Tuesday, Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Jorge Villegas declined to give a purported motive for the killing. "We believe it was personally motivated," said Villegas. He said the shooting was not believed to be gang-related.
Police are seeking tips about how the suspects with long rap sheets knew Rodriguez.
A romantic link between Rodriguez and Ibarra is one theory under investigation as a motive. Ibarra's Facebook page lists Rodriguez as a friend. A photo of Schumann, Ibarra's boyfriend, is prominent on her Facebook page.
At the Calabasas complex where the couple was arrested Monday, neighbors say they felt intimidated by Schumann.
City News Service contributed to this report.
shooting, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists'
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants