Los Angeles News
Suspect arraigned in Winnetka student's fatal shooting
WINNETKA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- New details are emerging about a possible motive in the deadly shooting of a popular high school student in Winnetka: Some revealing new information posted on one suspect's Facebook.
Los Angeles police allege a plot between two suspects, 24-year-old Jason Schumann and 19-year-old Elizabeth Ibarra. The alleged objective was to murder high school soccer star Francisco Rodriguez, 17. Rodriguez was fatally shot on his front lawn on Cozycroft Ave. in Winnetka last Wednesday night after a woman with red-tinted hair came to the door and asked him to step outside. An SUV was seen departing the scene after the shooting.
Schumann, the suspected shooter, was arraigned at Van Nuys Superior Court Wednesday. Prosecutors asked for $2,050,000 bail. Schumann could face life in prison if convicted.
Ibarra has not yet been charged. She was held on a parole violation without bail.
While announcing the arrests Tuesday, Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Jorge Villegas declined to give a purported motive for the killing. "We believe it was personally motivated," said Villegas. He said the shooting was not believed to be gang-related.
Police are seeking tips about how the suspects with long rap sheets knew Rodriguez.
A romantic link between Rodriguez and Ibarra is one theory under investigation as a motive. Ibarra's Facebook page lists Rodriguez as a friend. A photo of Schumann, Ibarra's boyfriend, is prominent on her Facebook page.
At the Calabasas complex where the couple was arrested Monday, neighbors say they felt intimidated by Schumann.
City News Service contributed to this report.
shooting, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 13 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 11 min ago
- Two smart watch models put to the test
47 min ago