Los Angeles News
Search for Hollywood Hills body parts called off
HOLLYWOOD HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police expanded a search area and brought in more resources Thursday but found no new clues following the discovery of a human head and other body parts in the Hollywood Hills Tuesday.
For a third day, police combed the rugged area for clues. Dozens of police cadets were brought to assist after investigators found two hands and two feet on Wednesday.
"We have not found anything of substance to report. There are no additional body parts that we found," said said LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith.
The search was called off Thursday afternoon. The Bronson Canyon area of Griffith Park officially reopens Friday.
Two dog walkers made the first grim discovery on Tuesday: A human head was found inside a grocery bag. The hands and feet were later found about 50 yards away. The torso remains missing.
"Our assumption was, It's Hollywood, there's always people filming little movies up there," said Lauren Kornberg, one of the dog walkers. "We thought it was a prop. We hoped it was a prop."
Police believe all the parts belong to the same victim, a possibly Caucasian man between 40 and 60 years old.
"All the body parts are at the coroner's office, and we're hoping that the coroner's office is going to be able to provide us with some identification. If not fingerprints, then we'll check for DNA and we'll look at dental records as well," said Smith.
Police believe the victim was killed recently because the body parts are not in an advanced decomposing state.
Police are checking missing-person reports in the area and they are working on a sketch of the victim to try to identify him.
Police do not believe the crime occurred at the location the body parts were found. They believe the body parts were dumped.
Area residents watched in disbelief as police and news crews poured into this quiet community.
"It's quite startling, I must say. There have been a number of car break-ins and minor crime activity, but nothing of this magnitude," said Hollywood resident Art Horan.
Anyone with information related to the case should call the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division at (213) 486-6890.
homicide investigation, body part found, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 28 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 17 min ago
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer 58 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)