Los Angeles News
LA filmmaker finalist in Doritos Super Bowl contest
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- West Los Angeles documentary filmmaker Kevin Wilson dreams of making comedies everyone will love.
This dream may come true if his commercial, "Sling Baby," airs during the Super Bowl as part of the Doritos "Crash the Super Bowl" contest.
"A group of friends got together and we thought, 'Hey, who doesn't love a baby and a grandma?' And we thought, 'Wouldn't it be funny if somehow they had to team up to get back their Doritos from a bully?'" said Wilson.
The commercial is now among the top five finalists, rising to the top of 60,000 entries from around the nation. This is the third year in a row Wilson's commercial has made it this far. In 2010, his commercial, "Casket," was aired during the Super Bowl. While it didn't take the final prize, Wilson said it was an amazing experience.
"Our whole crew and cast just freaked out. It was one of the highlights of my life. And I'm really hoping this year with sling baby, not only will it air, but it hopefully will take one of the top three positions. But we can't do that unless we get enough votes," he said.
Aside of Super Bowl air time, the winner could win $1 million and will have the chance to work with Saturday Night Live actors on future Doritos projects.
The commercial was shot in his friend's backyard for less than $3,000 and starred a friend's baby.
"We were just hoping he would hold the chip at the end, and at the end of the commercial, he not only just holds the chip, but he copies his mom, Jill, and he just lifts it up as the final booya, and we were like, 'Yes!'" Wilson said.
While the money and title would be nice, Wilson said the real privilege would come from the exposure and opportunity.
super bowl, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 26 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 21 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 11 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis