Los Angeles News
Detectives search home of decapitated man
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives on Saturday searched the apartment of a man whose severed head, hands and feet were found at a park in the Hollywood Hills.
Investigators spent hours at the Hollywood apartment building in the 6200 block of De Longpre Avenue where the victim, 66-year-old Hervey Medellin, lived.
Neighbors said they have been interviewed by investigators asking questions about Medellin and a younger man he lived with on the third floor.
Detectives were seen carrying out bundles of potential evidence.
Authorities said they believe Medellin was murdered and his body parts were then dumped at Bronson Canyon Park.
Bronson Canyon Park reopened Friday morning. It had been closed since Tuesday, when two women walking dogs found Medellin's severed head inside a plastic bag. His hands and feet were discovered about 50 yards away the next day.
The medical examiner's office was able to use fingerprints from the victim's severed hand to identify him.
"He was just a sweet, quiet old man with a dog," said neighbor Genevieve Fahey.
Anyone with information related to the case is asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department Robbery-Homicide Division at (213) 486-6890.
homicide investigation, body part found, los angeles news
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 16 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10