Los Angeles News
Half-ton of marijuana seized on boat in Malibu
MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- In a major drug bust at Point Dume in Malibu, officials seized a large amount of marijuana in a boat Saturday morning.
Authorities came across a suspicious boat from Mexico in Pirate's Cove. The Panga, a fishing boat about 25-30 feet long, came ashore about 10:30 p.m. on Friday.
Powerful radar detected the boat and relayed the information to Homeland Security. An investigation turned up about a half-ton of marijuana aboard the ship.
"Border Patrol, L.A. Sheriffs and Search and Rescue showed up to a maritime smuggling incident," said U.S. Customs & Border Patrol of Homeland Security Agent Carrell. "This is a fraction of what we have so far."
Three men were arrested, but a fourth suspect got away.
Deputies say the case appears to be a smuggling operation gone wrong, but they're still investigating the details.
Pirates Cove, also known as Smugglers Cove, got its name more than a century ago when opium was sometimes unloaded by smugglers from Asia.
malibu/pacific palisades, marijuana, arrest, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake 56 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 37 min ago
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged 6 min ago
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor 14 min ago
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest 24 min ago
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Shaving heads to help fight childhood cancer
20 min ago