Los Angeles News
Orange Line extension running under budget
CHATSWORTH, LOS ANGELEES (KABC) -- We're getting a look at the next Metro extension on the Orange Line running from Canoga Park to Chatsworth. It's not only under budget, it's going to free up millions for other transportation projects.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was the guide Monday, showing off the four-mile extension of the Metro Orange Line being constructed in the San Fernando Valley.
The $215-million extension came in under budget. It links Canoga Park to the Chatsworth Amtrak Metrolink station. It adds four new stations, two busway bridges and a list of other improvements to move more riders into mass transit.
The Orange Line extension is expected to help add another 9,000 boardings a day to the Rapid Transit line. The four-mile extension is scheduled to open in June.
It was supposed to use voter-approved Measure R money, but the state ended up footing the bill. Measure R is the half-cent sales tax overwhelmingly approved by voters in 2008.
"The money that was otherwise allocated for Measure R will go to another San Fernando Valley project. That's the great news today and the fact that it's under budget and on time," said Villaraigosa.
Villaraigosa didn't say what his preference is for how to spend the unexpected windfall in Measure R money.
The next big project is Van Nuys Boulevard from Sylmar down to Ventura Boulevard. The hope is to get people out of their cars and into mass transit.
antonio villaraigosa, san fernando valley, los angeles news, john north
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs 14 min ago
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones 9 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)