Los Angeles News
$50K rewards offered in Lincoln Heights murders
LINCOLN HEIGHTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two $50,000 rewards have been offered for information leading to arrests in the grisly murders of a Lincoln Heights woman and teenager whose bodies were found along freeways.
The bodies of Bree'anna Guzman, 22, and Michelle Lozano, 17, were discovered in similar fashion within a year.
"I appeal to the community to help get those involved in these murders behind bars," said Councilman Ed P. Reyes, who introduced the motions that were unanimously approved Wednesday by the Los Angeles City Council.
The partially-clothed body Guzman was discovered Jan. 26 in Silver Lake on a Glendale Freeway on-ramp.
Guzman, a mother of two young children, had walked to Rite Aid at Avenue 26 and Daly Street to buy cough medicine, but never returned home.
The coroner's office confirmed the identity of Guzman's body Wednesday.
The nude body of Lozano was found April 25, 2011, stuffed in a plastic container in Boyle Heights near the 5 Freeway at State Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue.
Lozano disappeared while walking to a store near her home.
At a vigil Wednesday night, Lincoln Heights residents expressed concern that someone may be preying on the area's young women.
"Yesterday, I drove around at 7 o'clock, not one person was out walking around," said Rich Mangaser, an organizer for the vigil. "We need to stop that. That's why we're having this community get-together so everybody doesn't show fear, because if we show fear, it's going to continue to happen."
However, Los Angeles Police Department detectives have been comparing notes and said that at this time they do not believe the two cases are related.
Anyone with information on these cases is urged to contact the LAPD at (800) 222-8477.
body found, silver lake, homicide investigation, los angeles news
- Tornado hits Oklahoma City suburbs; 37 dead 14 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery 10 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX 33 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Fire near Frazier Park 90 percent contained
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013