Los Angeles News
Military wives win 'Pin-Up for a Day' contest
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Some military wives turned out in Beverly Hills Friday for a pre-Valentine's Day treat. They are the winners of a "Pin-Up For A Day" contest. The women were treated to a makeover and photo shoot, all in the style of classic 1940s glamour.
With the twist of a curling iron and the stroke of a make-up brush, military wives are taking a trip back in time. They're getting "glammed up" to look like pin-up girls from the 1940s.
"Ever since I had the baby, I don't really get dressed up or do anything anymore, just so busy with her, so I thought it would be kind of exciting, and I've never done anything like this," said Michelle Krumrie, one of the winners.
But their photos will be just for their husbands.
Gina Elise, who founded the Pin-Ups For Vets Calendar, came up with the idea and launched a contest on YouTube.com.
"We want to give something back to our military wives who give so much. We got in tons of submissions. They told us why they would like to be a pin-up for a day," said Elise.
When Krumrie entered the contest, she explained why it would mean so much for her to be chosen.
"About a year ago he got back from Afghanistan, and we lost one of our best friends out there. And it just really taught me to appreciate everything that they do for us," said Krumrie.
Elizabeth Ramirez, whose husband is an Army reservist, says he nominated her, knowing it's something she'd never do on her own.
"I do a lot of volunteer work for the families when the families get deployed, and he gets upset with me sometimes 'cause I never have time for myself," said Ramirez.
For the wives, a photo shoot like Friday's is a bit nerve-wracking, but soon after the camera clicks, shyness fades and the fun begins.
The wives say they can't wait to see their husbands' reactions when the pictures are printed.
"I know he likes pin-ups, especially the old-fashioned ones, so he'll be excited," said Ramirez.
A perfect Valentine's Day gift to last a lifetime.
valentine's day, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake 26 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor 46 min ago
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)