Los Angeles News
Woman dies in Pasadena apartment fire
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman was killed after a fire broke out at a six-unit apartment building in Pasadena Wednesday morning.
The incident happened around 2 a.m. on the 300 block of West California Boulevard.
Authorities said it appears the woman dropped a cigarette on her couch, causing the fire.
The 70-year-old victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Her cat suffered critical injuries and later died as it was being transferred to a local animal shelter.
Authorities said the fire was contained to one room, and it took crews 10 minutes to extinguish the flames.
Firefighters said there were no smoke detectors in the woman's home, but smoke detectors in the hallways of the building alerted other residents.
fire, pasadena, los angeles news, john gregory
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations 29 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing 13 min ago
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)