Los Angeles News
Mom booked for murder in girl's drowning death; sister hospitalized
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police said Wednesday that a South Los Angeles mother was booked for murder and attempted murder after her 1-year-old daughter died in an apparent drowning and the girl's 5-year-old sister was hospitalized.
Police and paramedics responded to a home on the 900 block of West 50th Place just after 7:30 a.m. and found the girls inside a bathtub in a standup shower.
Police say it was not a bathtub large enough for both children to have accidentally drowned. Both children were in cardiac arrest as they were being rushed to California Hospital Medical Center. Paramedics were only able to revive the 5-year-old.
After talking to relatives, police believe that the mother, 32-year-old Lorna Valle, was trying to kill her children.
"The circumstances, we're still trying to sort out. But it appears now that this was an intentional act committed upon these two children by the mother," said LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith.
The mother was arrested and held on $1.5 million bail. She is currently on a three-day psychiatric hold at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
Neighbor Dina Cevallos said she went outside to move her car when she heard the father of the girls screaming. When she asked him what happened, he told her that the mother of the girls was depressed.
The 5-year-old girl was transferred to Children's Hospital Los Angeles, where she was upgraded to serious but stable condition from critical condition.
Latest word from hospital as of 3 a.m. Thursday is that 5-year-old is in critical but stable condition.
south los angeles, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds