Los Angeles News
Miramonte teacher Mark Berndt to be arraigned on Tuesday
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A former Miramonte Elementary School teacher, charged with nearly two dozen counts of lewd acts against children, is set to be arraigned on Tuesday.
Mark Berndt was arrested on Jan. 30 and is facing 23 felony charges. He's being held on $23 million bail.
The 61-year-old third grade teacher was fired a year ago from the school while being investigated after a film processor turned over 40 photographs to authorities. The pictures depicted children in a classroom with their eyes blindfolded and mouths covered with tape. Similar photos were found at Berndt's residence.
Berndt was seen in photos with his arm around the children or with his hand over their mouths, police said. Some children even had live large cockroaches on their faces and mouths.
A second Miramonte teacher, 49-year-old Martin Springer, is also charged with lewd acts against children. He posted bail earlier this month.
school, sex crimes, child abuse, lausd, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill