Los Angeles News
Nearly-drowned girl to have organs donated
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The father of a 5-year-old girl, whose mother allegedly attempted to drown her, is planning to take her off life support.
The decision came after the mother, 32-year-old Lorna Valle, was arrested for allegedly trying to kill her daughter Marian and her 1-year-old girl younger sister Lindsay by drowning them in a bathtub.
"I made a humanitarian decision to donate my daughter's organs so another person can live," said the father, Jose Humberto Lopez, as tears streamed down his face.
Lopez told police Wednesday he found the mother of his two daughters pushing the girls underwater.
The 1-year-old was dead when firefighters arrived.
Lopez's other daughter, Marian, was hospitalized at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
After talking to relatives, police determined that Valle was trying to kill her children. She was arrested for murder and was held on $1.5 million bail. If convicted, she could get 50 years to life in prison.
Lopez is angry that on Friday he was held by police after a social worker allegedly put a hold on him because Lopez might be a danger to himself or others.
"Friday night, I explained to this social worker that there was no need for a& hold," said Luis Carrillo, the family attorney. "He was completely tranquil and calm, no necessity to lock him up."
Carrillo said that for two nights Lopez was denied to be with his daughter.
CORRECTION: It was earlier reported that the 5-year-old Marian Valle was taken off life support. According to the family's attorney she is still on life support, as of Tuesday morning. Her organs have not been removed yet.
south los angeles, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- Sleet, ice, deep freeze hit large swath of US
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week 17 min ago
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis