Los Angeles News
LAUSD teacher accused of sexual relationships w/ 2 students
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- A 42-year-old female LAUSD teacher was arrested on Wednesday for alleged sexual relationships with two students.
Authorities say the investigation into Gabriela Cortez began on Feb. 15 when an alleged victim contacted the Montebello Police Department about his sexual relationship with Cortez between 2008 and 2010
"The teacher was moved off campus once allegations surfaced, and that's always the priority," said Marshall Tuck of Partnership for Los Angeles Schools. "
During the investigation, police said they identified a second victim, who also said he had a sexual relationship with Cortez.
Cortez has been a teacher at Roosevelt High School for 18 years as a Spanish teacher. The alleged crimes happened when the victims were students, but both are adults now.
Police say the crimes took place at Cortez's home in Montebello.
Cortez was booked at the Montebello City Jail, but was released after posting $140,000 bail. She is due in court on March 22.
A letter has been sent home to notify parents of the arrest.
"Us as parents, who can we trust now? We can't trust anybody now," said parent Maria Arellano.
Anyone with information about Cortez is urged to call the Montebello Police Department at (323) 887-1255.
lausd, arrest, sex crimes, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 9 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 50 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap 1 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
5 min ago