Los Angeles News
West Covina police shoot pursuit suspect in Pomona
POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man suspected of assaulting a West Covina police officer was pursued by police Sunday and shot.
West Covina police officers pursued the suspect into Pomona, where the chase ended at North Park Avenue and Alvarado Street at approximately 6 p.m.
The pursuit reportedly began with a carjacking in West Covina. The suspect reportedly fled with his young son. Witnesses said the boy is 4 years old.
The suspect was reportedly armed.
At Park and McKinley, the suspect reportedly lost control of the sport-utility vehicle and hits the side of a house. He then reportedly exited the vehicle, leaving his son behind.
The suspect then fired a shot as he reportedly carjacked another vehicle.
He crashed into a police car and drove away.
About a mile away, the pursuit ended with the officer-involved shooting.
The suspect was hit by police gunfire in the upper torso. He was treated on scene by L.A. County firefighters.
The suspect was airlifted to L.A. County USC Medical Center, where the suspect was listed in critical condition. Earlier Sunday it was reported the suspect was dead.
Officers were not injured.
L.A. County Sheriff's detectives were assisting West Covina Police in the investigation.
CORRECTION: The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department earlier reported the suspect was deceased. The suspect was listed in critical condition.
The Sheriff's Dept. issued a corrective statement at 9:50 p.m.:
"The previous news release indicated that the suspect involved in the officer involved shooting was pronounced dead at the hospital. That information was reported to us incorrectly. The suspect is NOT deceased and is listed in critical condition."
pursuit, shooting, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill