Los Angeles News
Report tells of scandal at UCLA basketball program
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- UCLA men's basketball coach Ben Howland walked the Westwood campus Thursday on what he said was not a great day.
In a lengthy story released by Sports Illustrated's George Dohrman, the Bruins basketball program is described as having drifted away from the UCLA way.
Dohrman spent two months speaking with players and staff from the past four UCLA teams, uncovering allegations of drug and alcohol use by players, fistfights and that Howland verbally abusing his staff, student managers and the weakest players.
"As you can imagine, I was surprised as some of the assertions that I had no knowledge of or are simply untrue or taken out of context," Howland said in a teleconference.
The Bruins made three straight Final Four appearances with good players who were also good kids. But the article says Howland started recruiting top-ranked players while sometimes sacrificing character.
"I'm angry these allegations of a select few cast doubt onto all that is great about UCLA athletics," said UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero. "Ben has admitted he's made some mistakes in evaluation, whether it was an evaluation of talent or evaluation of character, and we have had to live with that."
Reeves Nelson, who was kicked off the team in December, is labeled a bully in the SI story.
Nelson admitted to purposely injuring teammates in practice, including legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden's great grandson Tyler Trapani, prompting many UCLA supporters to ask what Coach Wooden would think.
Howland seemed confident that he will keep his job beyond the season.
"I would never purport to ever be able to live up to him and what he accomplished and who he was as a man and as a coach," Howland said. "Of course I strive to follow his ideals."
ucla bruins, los angeles news, john hartung
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 1 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 21 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
31 min ago