Los Angeles News
LACMA 340-ton boulder transportation makes premature stop
DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (KABC) -- The massive rock headed from Riverside to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is scheduled to continue its journey Saturday night. But the truck transporting the rock hit a snag near Diamond Bar.
"Last night we had concerns with the grating on the streets, so we had to take additional safety precautions," said Ernest Chang, construction supervisor for Time Warner Cable.
Although a lot of planning went into the move, the hills around Diamond Bar where the rock was to rest overnight proved to be too steep, and the massive monolith had to halt two miles short of its scheduled stop.
"There were additional trucks that had to be added for the braking as well as pushing the load," said Chang.
The massive granite made its first stop Wednesday night. The 2-story high, 680,000-pound boulder travels at 5 mph. The rock is one of the largest megaliths moved since ancient times, and its journey is attracting a lot of followers.
"I've never seen an apparatus like this to move such a huge piece of material, it's really fascinating," said Monrovia resident Frank Locatell.
When it finally rolls its way to LACMA, it will be part of an art exhibit that speaks to the expanse of history and cutting edge feats in engineering- something that has maybe already been accomplished just in its journey.
lacma, environment, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks