Los Angeles News
LACMA 340-ton boulder transportation makes premature stop
DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (KABC) -- The massive rock headed from Riverside to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is scheduled to continue its journey Saturday night. But the truck transporting the rock hit a snag near Diamond Bar.
"Last night we had concerns with the grating on the streets, so we had to take additional safety precautions," said Ernest Chang, construction supervisor for Time Warner Cable.
Although a lot of planning went into the move, the hills around Diamond Bar where the rock was to rest overnight proved to be too steep, and the massive monolith had to halt two miles short of its scheduled stop.
"There were additional trucks that had to be added for the braking as well as pushing the load," said Chang.
The massive granite made its first stop Wednesday night. The 2-story high, 680,000-pound boulder travels at 5 mph. The rock is one of the largest megaliths moved since ancient times, and its journey is attracting a lot of followers.
"I've never seen an apparatus like this to move such a huge piece of material, it's really fascinating," said Monrovia resident Frank Locatell.
When it finally rolls its way to LACMA, it will be part of an art exhibit that speaks to the expanse of history and cutting edge feats in engineering- something that has maybe already been accomplished just in its journey.
lacma, environment, los angeles news, darsha philips
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 13 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 48 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside 58 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler