Los Angeles News
Students hospitalized in Carson High School campus brawl
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- As many as 30 students were involved in a brawl at Carson High School Wednesday morning and four were hospitalized as a result, according to the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Eight students were reportedly injured. Four of them were hospitalized at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center with abdominal injuries.
The fight broke out on a campus courtyard about 10 a.m., according to the LAUSD. Three students were in custody in relation to the fight. It was earlier reported weapons were involved, but the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. later said no weapons were used.
Three students were detained on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, their feet. Seven students were cited for fighting.
"Mostly on one side of the school, that's where all the problems are at, that's where all the gang-related crew people are at," said one student. "That's where they mostly have all their fights."
The school, located at 22328 South Main Street, was placed on modified lockdown after the fight. Students were allowed to eat lunch and use restrooms, according to the LAUSD, but were otherwise required to stay in classrooms.
An earlier report said the brawl may have been racially motivated, but the LAUSD released a statement at 5:40 p.m. Wednesday: "Descriptions of these fights as racially-motivated have not been substantiated," said Los Angeles School Police Chief Steven Zipperman. "This campus has no current racial issues."
According to Principal Windy Warren, as a result of three fights, seven students were arrested or suspended; eight students were injured, with four transported to a hospital and four treated by the school nurse and released.
The incident was under investigation by school police and the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.
Classes were let out at the regular time Wednesday afternoon.
lausd, school, fight, los angeles news, leslie miller
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 27 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 33 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis