Los Angeles News
Levitated Mass rock hits snag, blocked by trees
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- The beast of a boulder on its journey from a Riverside quarry to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art hit a snag on Thursday.
As the rock was making its way through Carson at 5 mph, some tree branches got in its way, and the boulder got stuck. Crews had to chop away at the branches before the rock could continue on.
But it didn't get very far. The boulder had to rest three miles short of its scheduled stop at Vermont Avenue and Carson Street. And when it came to rest, nearby residents started to flock to the rock.
"We saw on channel 7 news that this was stopped in the middle of the street, so we had to come down and check it out," said Torrance resident Marla Cude.
Standing 22 feet tall and weighing 340 tons, the massive stone is a sight to see.
"Like anything else, when it's happening in your back yard, you want to be part of it, you know, up close and personal," said El Segundo resident Dawn Henderson.
When it reaches its destination, it will be part of an exhibit called, "Levitated Mass." It would have traveled through four counties and 22 cities - a journey that has many people amazed.
"We were looking at all the engineering on the trucks and the transport thing and all the hydraulics and pneumatics and the lights," described Cude. "And it's being pushed by two big diesels as well as pulled. I mean, look at what they're doing to do this. It defies description."
The boulder is expected to arrive in Los Angeles Saturday morning.
lacma, environment, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)