Los Angeles News
Levitated Mass rock departs for LACMA
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The largest piece of art to ever hit Southern California was just hours away from completing its 11-night, 105-mile journey to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on Friday night.
Fans of the rock gathered on the streets of South Los Angeles to watch the 340-ton boulder make a slow turn west. The rock was expected to reach the museum around 5:30 a.m. Saturday.
"I think it is phenomenal, I think it is very nice, I think it's something that L.A. needs along with the Tar Pits right next to it," said South L.A. resident Betty Hodges.
Friday was the last day for fans to see the rock on the road as it made its way to the museum to become part of an art piece called "Levitated Mass."
The rock had been parked at Figueroa Street and West 64th Street since Friday morning. On Thursday, it hit a snag in Carson when it was stopped by tree branches. Crews had to chop away at the branches before the rock could continue on.
All along the 105-mile journey from its Riverside birthplace, the rock has been a star.
"We thought that because it's traveling at night, people wouldn't notice it going through their communities," said LACMA's Miranda Carroll. "But they've been great. They've been out all night, watching it take corners, all sorts of things like that."
Those who went out to see the rock Friday said it was something they will never forget.
"340 tons going down the middle of our street and our community? I love it," said South L.A. resident Lena Cole Dennis.
lacma, environment, los angeles news
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse 58 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly killed woman 53 min ago
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard 43 min ago
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again 53 min ago
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US 7 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)