Los Angeles News
LAUSD Academic Decathlon may get cut due to budget
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Unified School District board is expected to approve massive cuts at Tuesday night's board meeting, possibly including the Academic Decathlon.
The award-winning Academic Decathlon program was budgeted at $400,000 for the current fiscal year.
This comes just days before the state Academic Decathlon is held in Sacramento. At least one board member is on record vowing to fight to keep the funding.
The program has been successful. LAUSD schools alone are winners of 12 national titles, more than all the other states combined. El Camino Real High School has won six of those national titles, which allowed them to meet President Barack Obama at the White House.
"When you look at what the program does for C students and B students, our C-team students outscore every student in the state," said Stephanie Franklin, the Academic Decathlon coach.
The nation's second-largest district will also consider cutting $177 million slated for the adult education program, which serves about 300,000 students. Hundreds of adult education students protested the cuts in Van Nuys on Monday.
"This is an opportunity people do not have in any other place," said Janet Lucar, an adult education teacher.
LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy said Monday there is some good news from the governor. State revenues are higher than expected, so the the district's budget deficits has dropped significantly from $557 million to $390 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
budget, school, lausd, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark 10 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
30 min ago
- Pet of the Week: Beagle mix named Noelle
27 min ago