Los Angeles News
Pepperdine athletic chaplain found dead on Malibu beach
MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials are trying to determine how a Pepperdine athletic chaplain died. His body was found on a Malibu beach.
Maurice Hilliard was found dead Monday morning in the 25800 block of Pacific Coast Highway. It's unknown who found the body and how it was discovered.
Officials said Hilliard's death does not appear to be a suicide, but they are not ruling anything out, because it is early in the investigation.
Hilliard had worked at Pepperdine University since 2001. In his time there, he served as an academic coordinator, an assistant women's basketball coach and the men's basketball director of operations before becoming a spiritual leader for student athletics.
The Office of the Chaplain at the university posted a message on Hilliard's Facebook page, saying, "We are deeply saddened to learn today that Maurice Hilliard passed away unexpectedly. Maurice was our athletics chaplain, a coach, teacher and mentor."
Others have also posted on Hilliard's page, thanking him for his constant encouragement.
body found, malibu/pacific palisades, los angeles news, christina salvo
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 4 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 42 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- SoCal boy's cancer fight inspires
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 54 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'