Los Angeles News
Pepperdine athletic chaplain found dead on Malibu beach
MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials are trying to determine how a Pepperdine athletic chaplain died. His body was found on a Malibu beach.
Maurice Hilliard was found dead Monday morning in the 25800 block of Pacific Coast Highway. It's unknown who found the body and how it was discovered.
Officials said Hilliard's death does not appear to be a suicide, but they are not ruling anything out, because it is early in the investigation.
Hilliard had worked at Pepperdine University since 2001. In his time there, he served as an academic coordinator, an assistant women's basketball coach and the men's basketball director of operations before becoming a spiritual leader for student athletics.
The Office of the Chaplain at the university posted a message on Hilliard's Facebook page, saying, "We are deeply saddened to learn today that Maurice Hilliard passed away unexpectedly. Maurice was our athletics chaplain, a coach, teacher and mentor."
Others have also posted on Hilliard's page, thanking him for his constant encouragement.
body found, malibu/pacific palisades, los angeles news, christina salvo
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey 4 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
33 min ago