Los Angeles News
Sierra Highway crash: Teen girl suspected of DUI, boyfriend killed
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- Relatives are mourning the death of a teenage boy killed in a suspected DUI crash in the Antelope Valley. The driver of the car was his 17-year-old girlfriend, who was hospitalized with critical injuries.
The crash happened Friday night on Sierra Highway, just south of Pearblossom Highway.
Friends said Jesus Lopez, 17, and his girlfriend, both students at Lancaster High School, had dated off and on for a couple of years. They had a dinner date the night of the crash.
Authorities said the girl was driving drunk. She crashed into a guardrail on the west side of the road. The CHP has withheld the driver's name because she is a minor.
"We lost someone amazing, full of life, and we're always going to miss him," said the victim's uncle, Bernardo Verdugo. "He was a really happy kid."
Verdugo said when Lopez's girlfriend found out that her boyfriend died, she said she didn't want to return to school. Lopez's grieving mother offered her support.
"She went to the hospital and told her that she needs to finish high school for him, and that she knows that it was an accident and accidents happen," said Verdugo.
There has been no word yet on what charges the girl may face. Verdugo said he hopes the death of his nephew will teach other teens not to take risks.
"Call your mom. Call your dad. Call a close friend. Don't drink and drive. Life is too fragile," he said.
accident, car crash, dui, los angeles news, amy powell
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Woman tries to reason with London attackers 24 min ago
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Emails show AEG exec called Jackson a 'freak'
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised