Los Angeles News
Teen girl fatally shot while riding in car in South Gate
LYNWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A 16-year-old girl died after being shot while riding in the back of a car in South Gate on Tuesday night.
The shooting happened about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at Gardendale Street and Dakota Avenue, just off Garfield Avenue.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's homicide investigators said the teen, identified as Roxy Borboa Galindo, was in a car with four males when someone fired a handgun at the car. The bullet went through the back window and hit the teen in the head.
The driver tried to find the nearest hospital but eventually stopped near Magnolia and Alpine avenues in Lynwood to call deputies for help. The victim was rushed by paramedics to St. Francis Medical Center, where she died shortly before 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The male driver and a male passenger in the vehicle were not injured.
Investigators were searching for a suspect. The motive and circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear. It's unknown whether the car was targeted or if it was involved in a random shooting. Investigators said Galindo had no known gang ties.
Citing South Gate police, sheriff's LT. Mike Rossen said there was new graffiti near where the shooting took place, and that is being looked into as a possible motive for the shooting.
Galindo attended Bell High School. Her friends at the school were grieving her death. They said they learned of her death through Facebook and other friends.
"She was amazing. She was the sweetest person you'd know," said Natalie Sanchez, a childhood friend of Galindo. "I broke down. I didn't want to come to school because it's nerve-racking. She's gone. I can't imagine her being gone, of all people."
Detectives said a late 1990s, dark-colored SUV similar to a Chevrolet Blazer or Ford Explorer may have been involved in the shooting. They said they hope surveillance cameras from a paper company in the area may give them more clues and help them find the gunman.
Anyone with information regarding this crime is urged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
Correction: It was earlier reported that the victim was 19 years old. Authorities say she is 16.
south gate, shooting, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 9 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 28 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 16 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite 11 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour