Los Angeles News
Severed dog heads found in South LA dumpster
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The severed heads of two large dogs were found in a trash bin in South Los Angeles.
The gruesome discovery was made on the 5800 block of Menlo Avenue on Tuesday at about 10:35 p.m. The dumpster was located near the back of a CVS Pharmacy on South Vermont and West Slauson avenues.
Investigators with the LAPD Animal Cruelty Task Force said it was apparent that the dogs' heads had been clearly severed from their bodies with a sharp object. The bodies of the dogs were not found.
Police said it's unclear whether the incident involved dog fighting, and if the dogs had been dead before their heads were removed. Upon investigation, authorities believe the perpetrator cut the dogs' heads at a different location before placing them inside the dumpster.
Authorities say the dogs appeared to have been full grown. One of the dogs was a chocolate Labrador-Retriever mix and the other was a tan Shepherd mix.
Investigators are reviewing evidence including surrounding surveillance footage to catch the suspect or suspects responsible.
"We're always looking for information because if somebody's capable of killing two family dogs like this and dismembering their bodies and leaving them in a dumpster, we don't know what they're capable of and we want to make sure we find out who did this and bring them to justice," said LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith.
If you have any information regarding this case, you're urged to contact the Department of Animal Services and Sanitation at (213) 486-0450 or contact LAPD at (877) 527-3247.
animal news, south los angeles, lapd, los angeles news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 18 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 34 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 14 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 29 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2