Los Angeles News
Severed dog heads found in South LA dumpster
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The severed heads of two large dogs were found in a trash bin in South Los Angeles.
The gruesome discovery was made on the 5800 block of Menlo Avenue on Tuesday at about 10:35 p.m. The dumpster was located near the back of a CVS Pharmacy on South Vermont and West Slauson avenues.
Investigators with the LAPD Animal Cruelty Task Force said it was apparent that the dogs' heads had been clearly severed from their bodies with a sharp object. The bodies of the dogs were not found.
Police said it's unclear whether the incident involved dog fighting, and if the dogs had been dead before their heads were removed. Upon investigation, authorities believe the perpetrator cut the dogs' heads at a different location before placing them inside the dumpster.
Authorities say the dogs appeared to have been full grown. One of the dogs was a chocolate Labrador-Retriever mix and the other was a tan Shepherd mix.
Investigators are reviewing evidence including surrounding surveillance footage to catch the suspect or suspects responsible.
"We're always looking for information because if somebody's capable of killing two family dogs like this and dismembering their bodies and leaving them in a dumpster, we don't know what they're capable of and we want to make sure we find out who did this and bring them to justice," said LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith.
If you have any information regarding this case, you're urged to contact the Department of Animal Services and Sanitation at (213) 486-0450 or contact LAPD at (877) 527-3247.
animal news, south los angeles, lapd, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal 3 min ago
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works 57 min ago
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill