Los Angeles News
President Obama addresses Trayvon Martin shooting case
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As protests spread across the nation regarding the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, President Obama weighed in on the controversy Friday, saying it's imperative that authorities investigate every aspect of the case.
"If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," Obama said. "I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and that we're going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."
Many protesters have donned hoodies in support of Martin. The Florida teen was spotted wearing a hoodie by his killer, neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. The article of clothing reportedly made Martin appear suspicious to Zimmerman.
In Santa Monica, protesters in hoodies rallied at city hall Friday evening in support of Martin's family.
"How can a hoodie be a problem?" said protester Sherri Walker. "Let's call it what it is -- it's absolutely racism and it was a racist act."
Zimmerman, 28, pulled the trigger on the unarmed Martin as he walked home from a convenience store last month. Zimmerman was not charged because of a Florida law that makes it difficult to arrest and prosecute homicide suspects who claim self-defense.
"Sanford Police don't even think that it's worthy of arresting him. Does that mean that a young, African-American life is not worth enough for someone to be arrested? It's outrageous," said protester Will Cooley.
Zimmerman's whereabouts remained unknown Friday, but Florida officials said they do know how to contact him.
protest, shooting, leimert park, los angeles news, amy powell
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 22 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 59 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again
- Aug. trial set for Ohio man in kidnap case
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- Baby bath seats recalled due to drowning fear
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)