Los Angeles News
Pasadena police meet with community over fatal shooting of unarmed man
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Pasadena residents filled New Revelation Missionary Church Saturday hoping to understand how an unarmed 19-year-old man ended up fatally shot by police officers. The meeting was led by the Pasadena Police Chief Phillip Sanchez. Other city officials were also there.
Last weekend officers were confronting a burglary suspect when, they say, the suspect reached for his waistband. They opened fire on 19-year-old Kendrec McDade. The shooting has raised outrage among the community. Newlen and Griffin responded to a 911 robbery call Saturday. The caller had falsely reported that McDade was armed.
Oscar Carrillo, the man who called 911 and said that McDade was armed, remains in jail. Community leaders say it's a warning to all.
Saturday police attempted to answer written questions submitted by community members.
"The questions that came up that were answered were great, but after you got those answers, you started asking other questions," said Martin Gordon, Pasadena Community Coalition. "What we do know is that we need to have this process be transparent, that we need to hear the information as it comes about. ... We also need to know what is happening with the use-of-force here in Pasadena."
The officers in the incident were identified Friday as Jeffery Newlen and Mathew Griffin. Both are veterans of the department who had no prior shooting incidents involving suspects. They have been placed on paid leave while the investigation continues.
McDade's family has set up a memorial fund at Chase Bank, Account No. 452408953.
pasadena, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs 40 min ago
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones 35 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)