Los Angeles News
Pasadena police meet with community over fatal shooting of unarmed man
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Pasadena residents filled New Revelation Missionary Church Saturday hoping to understand how an unarmed 19-year-old man ended up fatally shot by police officers. The meeting was led by the Pasadena Police Chief Phillip Sanchez. Other city officials were also there.
Last weekend officers were confronting a burglary suspect when, they say, the suspect reached for his waistband. They opened fire on 19-year-old Kendrec McDade. The shooting has raised outrage among the community. Newlen and Griffin responded to a 911 robbery call Saturday. The caller had falsely reported that McDade was armed.
Oscar Carrillo, the man who called 911 and said that McDade was armed, remains in jail. Community leaders say it's a warning to all.
Saturday police attempted to answer written questions submitted by community members.
"The questions that came up that were answered were great, but after you got those answers, you started asking other questions," said Martin Gordon, Pasadena Community Coalition. "What we do know is that we need to have this process be transparent, that we need to hear the information as it comes about. ... We also need to know what is happening with the use-of-force here in Pasadena."
The officers in the incident were identified Friday as Jeffery Newlen and Mathew Griffin. Both are veterans of the department who had no prior shooting incidents involving suspects. They have been placed on paid leave while the investigation continues.
McDade's family has set up a memorial fund at Chase Bank, Account No. 452408953.
pasadena, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 44 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 35 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2