Los Angeles News
Trayvon Martin protesters march in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Protesters marched through the streets of Los Angeles on Sunday demanding justice for slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.
Martin, who was unarmed, was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in February. Zimmerman has claimed self-defense and has not been arrested.
The march began about 2 p.m. and ended with a rally in the Leimert Park area of the city.
The rally in Los Angeles was one of several taking place across the county. Political leaders, sport stars, entertainers and several thousand people rallied in Miami in support of Martin's parents. Basketball stars Alonzo Mourning and Isaiah Thomas, singers Chaka Khan and Betty Wright were among them.
Martin's father, Tracy Martin, says police need to make an arrest now.
"We know our kid's voice. We knew that. It's the Sanford Police Department that is in denial. Justice needs to be served," he said.
Zimmerman has been in hiding since the fatal shooting.
shooting, protest, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Mandela interpreter cites hallucinations
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace' 49 min ago
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate