Los Angeles News
LA considers plastic bag ban amid layoff fears
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Paper or plastic? Or how about none at all? The city of Los Angeles is considering a ban on all single-use bags. Environmentalists say these bags end up on beaches or on the streets and it's time to get rid of them.
"These bags are a big source of pollutants," Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said. "These bags endanger fish."
The City Council's Environment Committee took up the issue Wednesday. About 15 employees of the Crown Poly bag manufacturing company arrived to say they might lose their jobs if the ban goes into effect.
"I'm worried about losing my job, I'm a single mother," said Elicia Ortiz, a Crown Poly employee. "I don't want to be another number on the unemployment line."
More than 2 billion plastic bags are used in Los Angeles every year. About 5 percent are recycled. Plastic bag companies say if more people would recycle, the ban wouldn't need to happen.
"It's not environment versus jobs," said Cathy Browne, general manager of Crown Poly. "Environmentalists want to portray it that way. We look at it as you can accomplish both."
Councilman Dennis Zine said it's all about balancing jobs and the environment.
Los Angeles County bans plastic bags, but allows customers to purchase paper bags for 10 cents. Officials said they might consider doing that in the city as well.
environment, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 47 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants