Los Angeles News
Man found shot dead in his car in Echo Park
ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police say a 21-year-old man was found shot dead inside his car in Echo Park early Sunday.
Los Angeles police said gunshots were reported in the area of Kensington Road and Echo Park Terrace about 1:40 a.m.
About 20 minutes later, the father of the victim said he went outside to check on his son because he heard him arguing with someone prior to the gunshots. The victim, Etsael Cardenas Jr., was found unresponsive. Paramedics transported Cardenas to a hospital, where he died a short time later.
Family members said Cardenas had been sitting in his car listening to music, as he often did.
"Nobody saw nothing. They heard it, but we don't know who it was," said the victim's sister, Daisy Cardenas. "My dad heard the gunshot, reacted to it, went out looking for him (because he) noticed he wasn't home, and they found my brother dead in the car."
Police said Cardenas was shot twice on the side of his chest.
"He was our only brothers," said Daisy Cardenas. "We're four girls and he was the one to take care of us, so this is really hard for us."
Police are searching for suspects.
Investigators are looking for witnesses. Anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD's Rampart Division at (213) 484-3400.
echo park, shooting, homicide investigation, los angeles news, amy powell
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)