Los Angeles News
USC shooting: victim was planning to move
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A day after the deadly off-campus shooting of two USC students, LAPD re-interviewed witnesses and analyzed ballistic evidence from the victims' car. But investigators say they need tips from the public.
LAPD and USC officials will formally announce a $125,000 reward on Friday.
Friends of Ying Wu and Min Chu say that the two were frugal. She chose to live in the neighborhood, which is outside USC's public patrol area, because of the price.
"The rent fee is very low, so she wanted to save money for her family," said friend Yun Song Mu, adding that she was worried about her safety in the neighborhood. He said she was planning to move next semester.
International students say they are at a disadvantage in finding housing because they arrive just before school starts, and many apartments are already rented.
USC has plans to redevelop University Village, which is nearby. Officials estimate it could provide 4,000 more beds, but it will be two or three years before the first phase is finished. And there's no word on whether the cost will be affordable.
Students pay as much as $2,500 a month for a one bedroom within the area that is patrolled with cars and cameras.
In the public safety communications center, officers monitor activity 24 hours a day. The closest camera to Wednesday's crime scene was several blocks away, but its data has been turned over to LAPD.
"I hope we get lucky, and we pick something up that proves useful to both us and LAPD," said USC Campus Safety Capt. David Carlisle.
shooting, school, lapd, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 49 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 25 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 4 min ago
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 34 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 33 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand 53 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons