Los Angeles News
Redondo Beach search called off; man missing after couple jumps off pier
REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man who jumped into the ocean from the Redondo Beach Pier on Saturday night remains missing.
Rescuers fanned out across the water after receiving reports of a couple in their 20s jumping from the pier just after 11 p.m. Crews were continuing their search for the man, identified as 22-year-old David Thompson, on Sunday morning. By Sunday night, the search had ended and there was no indication wether it would resume Monday.
According to authorities, the couple dared each other to jump saying "let's do something crazy." The water temperature in the area was 55-59 degrees and the surf 2-4 feet, according to the National Weather Service.
The woman made it to shore in the Horseshoe Beach area of the pier and was taken to the hospital. She was treated for hypothermia, submersion and intoxication, but was expected to be OK.
Redondo Beach police and fire crews, with help from Los Angeles County lifeguards and the U.S. Coast Guard, searched for Thompson until 3 a.m. The search resumed at daybreak Sunday. A dive team from the Los Angeles County Fire Department joined the search.
missing person, beach, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 27 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 19 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 40 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
46 min ago
- Los Angeles Mission serves Good Friday meals
8 min ago